Discuss grinder.. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

lol mate believe me I tried the tiler I did a little work with had exactly the same one too and his guard sat nice so you could see... but I honestly preffer a grinder if im honest I preffer to just tap the tile that takes the dust off it rather than get a rag and wipe it down too ;)
gonna need to get to grips with a wet cutter Ash, there'll be many occasion when a grinder just will not be a viable option. Better off getting used to a table cutter now, and it takes an enormous amount practise to run a grinder perfectly down a pencil line. Until u can confidently split a pencil line in half u can't profess to be able to use one! :smiley2: which side do u have cutting blade when u use grinder Ash? On your left or right?

M

Mr Tiler

gonna need to get to grips with a wet cutter Ash, there'll be many occasion when a grinder just will not be a viable option. Better off getting used to a table cutter now, and it takes an enormous amount practise to run a grinder perfectly down a pencil line. Until u can confidently split a pencil line in half u can't profess to be able to use one! :smile2: which side do u have cutting blade when u use grinder Ash? On your left or right?

this calls for a video!!!! I have a couple of floor tiles here and I will!!!!!!! do it!!!! lol... grinder is in me rite hand, no lefties over here! lol

M

Mr Tiler

Actually yes I can , You cant seriously price a job if you dont know what you are using. Had the given you a stone tile would you have felt the same ?

Neale I don't mean any disrespect but with the amount of years experience you have over me you had to go to a tile shop and ask what type of tile it was. i would price porc the exact same as ceramic and stone doesn't even need to come into this i can tell the difference and at this moment in time i would simply turn down a stone job so i don't need to worry about pricing for it atm

M

Mr Tiler

Neale I don't mean any disrespect but with the amount of years experience you have over me you had to go to a tile shop and ask what type of tile it was. i would price porc the exact same as ceramic and stone doesn't even need to come into this i can tell the difference and at this moment in time i would simply turn down a stone job so i don't need to worry about pricing for it atm

and i meant to type so how was i gonna be able to tell one from the other unless i got me tounge out lol

O

Old Mod

oh which side of the line? lol it doesn't matter which side of the line it is but it is always on the opposite side to the piece of tile i will be using to ensure i don't go too deep and stick to the mark.
:rofl: Ash m8, if I meant which side of line I would have said that! Ok so I'm gonna assume then that whilst holding it in your RIGHT hand, the BLADE is on left of the grinder, yes?
Ok so this means all the dust and crap is forced toward u! Yes? And if it bites and snags in the tile it will be pulled from your hands and could end up in or on someone or something else!!
Now if u spin your guard (if u use one!) thro 180 so that it's kinda upside down. Not only will all the dust be pushed away from u, if it snags it'll come toward u! It might sound more dangerous but in my experience it's safer because you're already holding it tightly so as it comes toward u u'll find u naturally use your arms as a damper and u remain in control! I know some will disagree with this but this what I find safest and cleanest for me! Give it a go.

M

Mr Tiler

:rofl: Ash m8, if I meant which side of line I would have said that! Ok so I'm gonna assume then that whilst holding it in your RIGHT hand, the BLADE is on left of the grinder, yes?
Ok so this means all the dust and crap is forced toward u! Yes? And if it bites and snags in the tile it will be pulled from your hands and could end up in or on someone or something else!!
Now if u spin your guard (if u use one!) thro 180 so that it's kinda upside down. Not only will all the dust be pushed away from u, if it snags it'll come toward u! It might sound more dangerous but in my experience it's safer because you're already holding it tightly so as it comes toward u u'll find u naturally use your arms as a damper and u remain in control! I know some will disagree with this but this what I find safest and cleanest for me! Give it a go.

could ya post a pic of the way your guard is positioned mate? i already have changed the position of my guard and yeh buddy the blade sits on the left side ;)

Reply to grinder.. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I have an anhydrite screeded floor that’s been down 4mths. I now need to sand it before...
Replies
Views
Advice Hi guys, got some 60cmx60cm porcelain tiles to lay in a hallway with a modular pattern...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB