Discuss How Many Of You, Use Topps Tiles? in the Tile Retail | Tile Buying area at TilersForums.com.

S

StevieBoy

As above, i'm in the middle of nowhere as far as suppliers go. My local Topps are really good guys, however I have to agree regarding the discount structure. It is the most idiotic thing, use us a bit and you will only get a bit, use us a lot and you may get more..... should just be trade or not. You can always push and get a deal no matter where you get your products though. My nearest CTD is towards Cambridge. Bedford is a craphole for any suppliers, it does my head in. That said CTD have bought out Tile Depot and they have a branch in MK, so there is a glimmer of hope.
That's the problem I have - other than Topps there just isn't anyone closer.

There's a Tile Trend, a Presley's and a Tile Giant - but all too far away really.

Maybe I'll move lol

P

p4ulo

I use Topps, I have been lucky I guess, staff know there stuff and they are a nice bunch.
Plenty of "proper tilers" seem to come out of the woodwork for their Trade-Nights though eh? Amazing what a free tub of Green Star and some crappy samples can do!!
I really like their trade rapid set flexible adhesive, lovely product to mix and spread...
Yeah, trims are expensive, that's what Ebay is for I guess?!

As the owner of a local independent tile shop, I am able to offer lower retail prices with higher discounts, for better products. I buy tiles direct from Spain and Italy, as well as using UK wholesalers. The margins put on by Topps are high, and their price promise is only based on the exact same tile - so they ask factories to tweak tiles slightly to get round that, or demand UK rights to the tile. I used to sell a tile via a UK wholesaler for £39.95sqm and it was £65sqm in Topps. Then all of a sudden, my wholesaler wasn't allowed to import it anymore.

I've heard many horror stories about Topps over the years - but the public will always have this blind faith in a large company, and it baffles me. I was recommended to a couple by their builder once, they never came to see me despite being open 7 days a week, and they would have drove past me to get to Topps!

I'm surprised CTD are getting such a big vote, the tile distribution side is useless! Maybe they put more effort into servicing the trade guys?

S

StevieBoy

Ok here's my op.

I use my local Topps as I have already said, there literally are no other merchants / suppliers close to me that sell firstly decent adhesives and secondly have most things in stock.
I also agree that they do not have a lot of product knowledge, in fact I think I have probably forgotten more than they know!

Trims are an absolute rip off, so I try to buy elsewhere when I can.

Grouts, well they mostly sell BAL, which personally I don't mind paying a bit extra for because I have never ever had a bad BAL grout and in my op, it's the best!

Tiles, well I don't supply anyway for my own reasons, so apart from slow set addy and grout and the odd Rubi scoring wheel now and then that's about all I buy from them - oh and plus the odd sponge to take my order over £50 to get a stamp on my trade card.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How Many Of You, Use Topps Tiles? in the Tile Retail | Tile Buying area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, ive just had a new tile floor laid with black BAL grout. This was laid on top of a new...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've been planning on tiling my 16sq m dining room floor for ages, so have been reading...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, First time posting on a forum but cant seem to find any advice that is matching my...
Replies
Views

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB