Discuss I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

because in the nicest possible way, when you not sure what you are doing, you are going to run into problems.
its always better to have too much than too little....over estimate, you can always use the rest up on another job or send it back.

cubic volume is the area x the depth.. its quite difficult to estimate this when your dealing in millimeters over uneven areas..just put it down to experience, tomorrows another day. its not like youve electrocuted somebody is it?

C

cornish_crofter

It's not just that I have run out, Even the area I levelled out is out by 3mm in some areas. I am so mad!

Basically I mixed the first bag with 5.25L of water as directed and it was as runny as water! I phoned Weber up to ask why and was advised to reduce the water content to around 5L. This provided a slightly stiffer mix but it's still a load of crap.

I worked out that I needed just over 6 bags and thus bought 7. The tile shop also checked my calcs. I think I'll need another 2 bags to sort this mess out. I may even go for more and go over the whole area again.

C

cornish_crofter

How did the SLC flow when you were pouring it? I assume it's not very level from this unhappy message. Pouring it at 8mm is quite a skill, even someone who does it often will find it hard to keep an even depth across a floor. I know this isn't making you feel any better. How does the floor look now?

The first mix flowed too easily. So much so that there was no way I could level it. Weber told me that it had a 1 in 8 slump ratio. Hence for every 8 inches it spread it would be one inch high - what a load of crap that was!

The floor looks crap. The uncovered area is 10mm below the high point - rather destroys the meaning of SLC.

C

cornish_crofter

One Idea I had was to 'fill in' the area that needs to be done.

Before I started mixing the SLC I placed screws in to give me the required height all around the floor as Sandy Floor suggested. I can get the level over the area that is missing fairly easily I reckon. I can cope with a ridge provided it is all relitively the same height.

Would it be a consensus that 3mm variation over 6ft is acceptable then? If that is the case then I've only got the area that was affected by my running out of SLC to worry about, and maybe I'm over obsessing about what is reasonable/achievable. I wanted it to be perfect for tiling as I want the tiles flat.

Reply to I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Sometimes work has been hard, sometimes frustrating, stressful etc. But i can't remember the...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
I collected this load directly from weber distribution today in ballyclare about an hours drive...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
I am about to go and dig up my SLC - rebag it and return it to Weber!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.