Guest viewing is limited

Recommended Tile Suppliers

We recommend a couple of tile suppliers, Topps Tiles and Tile Giant.

They supply good adhesive brands and provide trade discounts for genuine tilers.

Discuss Topps Tiles Travertine Questio in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com.

H

hellooooooooooo

Hello there this is my first post and as I am a wife and mum please explain your advice as basically as you can. Went to Topps Tiles and got an approved fitter to fit our travertine tiles. Unhappy with him and asked him to leave. He had sealed the tiles but not laid any. Rang Topps senior manager who agreed to supply another fitter or full refund but we would have to return the tiles to him. I explained that my hubby and his mate are now doing it and the manager then said that as the tiles were sealed he could not sell them on and they would have to go in the bin when he got them back from us so if i liked them and wanted to keep them then make him an offer and whatever it is he will accept. The whole order cost £580, £380 was the tiles the rest the materials. Would you be suspicious ie could I trust that the tiles are not faulty and defective and he is just trying to offload them? or what would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

theyomper

I had already been doing a lot of work via Topps prior to the instigation of the TAF scheme, as a result of the feedback given to the store by customers I was asked to carry out their TAF work. When TAF work is completed a satisfaction form should be completed by the customer and handed back to the store.
Obviously it would be up to individual store on how they vett theirs TAF's but i will enquire as to what their company policy might be.

So what is a TAF if not a recommend? Hopefully this is a one off and not the norm.

T

Time's Ran Out

The Yomper - There was no criticism or offence in the reply given by Dave towards the TAF scheme offered by Topps Tiles ( definition of Slag off!).
It is obvious in this case that the recommended tilers should not be on the scheme that you are defending and I would be in agreement with Dave that it is advisable to have personal recomendations/have seen work completed than accept any John ( Oh thats me!).

John.

D

DHTiling

I had already been doing a lot of work via Topps prior to the instigation of the TAF scheme, as a result of the feedback given to the store by customers I was asked to carry out their TAF work. When TAF work is completed a satisfaction form should be completed by the customer and handed back to the store.
Obviously it would be up to individual store on how they vett theirs TAF's but i will enquire as to what their company policy might be.

So what is a TAF if not a recommend? Hopefully this is a one off and not the norm.

Good question....If a customer recommends a tiler then the work is there to be viewed...correct. but for topps to recommend a tiler simply coz he walked in the store and was lucky enough to get on the TAF list then thats wrong...

I won't mention names but i know quite a few TAF's that ask very very basic tiling questions ...thats where the forum comes in i know but if they don't ask then the customer pay's the price...as this customer has...

So i am not condeming TAF's...but closer scrutiny should be carried out don't you agree.?

T

theyomper

The term 'Tom Dick and Harry' is IMO a derogatory term and in this instance implied that all TAFS are 'Tom Dick an Harry's' that don't have the skills of a skilled tiler. That's my opinion.

I agree Dave, that there should be some form of scrutiny of the work carried out by TAFS and this onus should be placed on the manager of the store.

Several years ago I took time out from tiling and was a carpet manager for a national company. My policy was to call the customer the next day and ask if they were pleased with the fitting and the fitters. As I was a competant fitter myself, I ensured that the standards were as high as if I were to have fitted the carpet myself.

One of the problems that I have found with the management of Topps is that in this particular case, the new manager is still on a learning curve, having come from an allied trade, and has yet to aquire the skills to become a good manager rather than an average manager. I would certainly, in his position, call customers and ask how things went and then base this information of whom I would recommend and whom I wouldn't as a TAF.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
IMO Topps have been more than reasonable on this. They have have offered to take the tiles back because a tiler who operates outside of their direct control has cocked up - fair enough they recomended him but the tiles are no different just because the tiler was a wally. You should pay the right price for the tiles and get someone else to lay them. If Topps are prepared to deduct the amount for the plumbing repair that is a bonus to you but I don't see how they are technically liable for that and really you should be seeking recompens directly from the tiler. Topps come out as above reproach on this one

Reply to Topps Tiles Travertine Questio in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Guys, Thought I'd run this past you, I've got a customer who in his wisdom decided to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi guys, Installed some encaustic looking tiles from Topps today, 45x45 with a pre scored grout...
Replies
Views
Tile Shop
T
C
  • Question
Hi, has anyone had a similar experience ....... I bought some split face tiles in Oyster. When I...
Replies
Views
K
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tiling in our new bathroom. We are...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Topps Tiles Travertine Questio
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond