Guest viewing is limited
  • Thread starter The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 3K
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss Tribute to Tenchman in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Steve Sinnott (Tenchman) is a guy who's work I have long admired through the forum, I recently had the pleasure of meeting Steve in person he's a nice guy. If any members have not seen Steve's work yet I would encourage people to view his albums.

In my opionion his work is amazing. For all the people on here who have worked with Geometic / Victorian materials I hope they will appreciate how much skill, craftsmanship (blood sweat & tears) go into this type of work.

On average I do 4 or 5 Victorian floors per year and understand the difficulties faced. The setting out alone requires the highest levels of skill and attention to detail.

Again in my opionion Steve is at the pinnacle of his proffesion, a true artist! and I hope he gets the recognition he deserves. :thumbsup:

T

Tenchman

Thanks PHIL:hurray::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: i was happy to finally meet up with you pity you don't go fishing as well :lol: i started restoring Vic floors from 1972 onwards, one of my very first jobs was to restore a floor that had been ruined by brickies pouring brick acid over a marble floor which was made up of celtic knots in various colours.
6 apprentices were tested for cutting cubes of inch x inch marble and 5 did badly on purpose, i tried my best and got the 3 year job of cutting just a few hundred short of a million cubes from large format slabs of marble.

they gave me holidays from the job to stop me going stale first one of which was in the states in new york . which was great but because i was under 21 i ended up with a full time NANNY looking after me. = no booze going out girls = nothing no fun :mad2:

and eventually i became a Tyler-Mason and have worked with Victorian floors most of life i have taught others in 6 different countries now.

and i have restored or laid new floors in most places like the USA/Canada/ New Zealan/ Australia/ most european countries and some in Asia not been to Japan but that is on my wish list as i have lots of hobby interest in Japanese things like Koi/ Martial arts and Bonsai so any Japanese tilers who want to get into Victorian flooring get in touch :thumbsup: Once again thanks Phil Cheers Steve aka Tenchman PS. sorry this was late didn't get a chance until now

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Wow he really is a God!

:lol::lol::lol: I really hope the members of this forum enjoy Tenchmans work, I along with other members, know just how much time and effort goes into this type of work. My motto is "measure twice, cut once" Steve's motto is measure four times, then check again:thumbsup: PS. I hope to see Steve on Mon, see his latest creation. PPS. Steve I didn't know you were into martial arts, I was an instructor in Shukokai Karate, that never came up in our conversations:smilewinkgrin:

T

Tenchman

Thanks for comments ref God (might be pushing it a bit there:lol:) etc, Have funny stories and really bad ones more funny than bad Joe, worst is Algeria got stuck in a camp there for months = lost 7stone in weight from various disease's inc tapeworm.

When i said holiday i should have mentioned it was a working holiday my Co sent me to New York to fix an old mosaic, the firm there provided a Nanny to look after me as i was only 18 should have made that cleae , it's just a bit barmy there you have to be 21 to be of age.

Phil same here instructor for quite a few years in Go-Ju only small group that didn't mind me being away a lot. still do it now but just to keep up with being able to rip arms & legs off if they don't pay up :incazzato:

Thanks Steve

T

Tenchman

Hi Russ, I have actually been asked to write a book and some of the higher-ups in Historic Scotland have been enquiring about chances of starting a training program.

Training in my branch of the work is really only worthwhile insitu = on the job, if an old floor has to fixed you have to go to the floor, some time ago i was asked to look at a book written by a woman with a doctorate in conservation and it was about Historic floors lots of learned academics contributed to it some from the likes of English Heritage.

I gave the book to one of my interns to read for a month and see if anything could be used within our work. This girl was near in tears as having read this book from cover to cover there was nothing of practical value in it.

I have a book written by Cyril Carter of Poole Tileries turn of the century it is full of practical stuff.

My experience has all been gained by taking these Victorian floors apart and putting them back together until now it is second nature to me.

I suppose i could write a book on the subject as i have enough experience and i even did a ceramics degree in my mid 30's but that was only to learn how to make some of the tiles i don't use the info much now.

I do know of someone who contacted me years ago she wanted to get some practical work done but she never showed up .

Years later she got in touch to ask to work with me having spent the best part of 6-7 years getting a doctorate in restoration & conservation of tiles at De montford Uni but had never laid any tiles or taken up and restored any floors.Different women than the book writer.
People with practical backgrounds and can do the job are often overlooked by overeducated academics who can't do the job but get paid for talking about it.

Sorry to rant but i'd like architects to have a mandatory year of working with all the major trades so they know how awkward the various jobs are rather than being fresh out of Uni and telling people how to do their job when they barely know one end of a tool from the other.:incazzato: Apart from that i really enjoy my job and if i ever get enough time i might write a book, in the meantime if we ever had the money to still pay me i would be happy to do onsite training most places just need back-up from the powers that be and the likes of English Heritage Historic Scotland CADW (wales) etc etc

M

mikethetile

steve

thats an imressive cv, theres a lesson for youngsters coming into the trade, be the best you can

I often admire the craftmanship of earlier centuries where craftsmen dedicate their lives to developing a skill and the results speak for themselves

you are one of those rare craftsmen whose work will be admired and restored in time to preserve it for eternity

write that book sooner rather than later and put aside a signed copy for me

Reply to Tribute to Tenchman in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Thought it might be a bit of fun (and maybe educational) for members to share a few stories of...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
A
Hi guys Just a quick update on phil for you all. He's out of hospital now and in a new...
2 3
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
Hi everyone. Just had a tiler do some tiling on a job for me.. I was not on this job when he...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
T
DIY SOS. Helping people without time or money, in need desperate need to get a project...
Replies
Views
M
who knows him?.... this guy added me ages ago about the time a few select guys did on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tribute to Tenchman
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.