Guest viewing is limited
  • Thread starter The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 3K
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss Tribute to Tenchman in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

aph257

I'm still in 1st year of tiling and have just been to your web site Steve and am blown away with it.:drool5: How much patience must you have. I have two friends who have Ennerdale 100 in four diff colours in their hallways and i have told them i'll cut their nuts off if the do anything bad to them. they are looking in need of a clean though, can you advise me whats the best products/method? i've used Aquamix HDT&G cleaner on ceramics quite a few times would this be OK? Thanks

T

Tenchman

Thanks Mike, i would be happy to do that just terrible at typing plus when i write reports up for listed building work (doing two this week ) it takes me forever and because i'm a Celt i write lots of swear words cos it cheers me up :lol: then i have to censor the final draft otherwise i leave a few in ha ha,
At least it would give you some idea of how to do the job, better than the academic books which show pretty pics but waffle about how many microns per sq inch of grit is in the screed which i have had given to me as a formula to make screed jusy like they did in old days :prrr: in the old days it was worse than now they (the old-time tilers) mixed screed with so much crap it is a joke that this prof got paid for sifting screed to come up with the formula i was supposed to use. I told him that it was complete BS.

And in fact in the screed we had found horse manure broken clay pipes dottle from those same pipes, wood shavings the list goes on they never stood and set up equal parts of anything they just mixed up and threw literally anything into the screed.

I have found coins in the stuff, we are more precise nowadays than our tile predecessors ever were, yes they did some brilliant work with rubbish lighting etc.

but we do excellent work today that would just leave them dead, all their tiles were mould made in my album the new section in the Kirton floor i cut all the tiles from 6x6 using a rubi & a wet cut and there were more than 10,000 cuts.

You are right though a book would be handy save getting some floors messed up if i get enough spare time i might make a go at it . thanks once again for everyone's comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Tenchman

Thanks Paul, i've sent info you required by e-mail. not sure if it also being stubborn on some jobs rather than patience, some of the forum have visited me on this last job laying a new vic floor repro, one of them said i was quite laid back yet i am very intense on parts of job and time whizs by so quick i forget to eat.

I still enjoy my work and i'm lucky it is so niche, thanks again for your comments cheers Steve

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
A sample before and after shot:-

BEFORE
tenchman-albums-st-helens-picture9669-porch-showing-damage-stains-paint-etc.jpg

AFTER
tenchman-albums-st-helens-picture9670-porch-walls-floor-restored.jpg

R

Rob Z

Thanks Mike, i would be happy to do that just terrible at typing plus when i write reports up for listed building work (doing two this week ) it takes me forever and because i'm a Celt i write lots of swear words cos it cheers me up :lol: then i have to censor the final draft otherwise i leave a few in ha ha,
At least it would give you some idea of how to do the job, better than the academic books which show pretty pics but waffle about how many microns per sq inch of grit is in the screed which i have had given to me as a formula to make screed jusy like they did in old days :prrr: in the old days it was worse than now they (the old-time tilers) mixed screed with so much crap it is a joke that this prof got paid for sifting screed to come up with the formula i was supposed to use. I told him that it was complete BS.

And in fact in the screed we had found horse manure broken clay pipes dottle from those same pipes, wood shavings the list goes on they never stood and set up equal parts of anything they just mixed up and threw literally anything into the screed.

I have found coins in the stuff, we are more precise nowadays than our tile predecessors ever were, yes they did some brilliant work with rubbish lighting etc.

QUOTE]

Hi Steve, maybe we're related! :smilewinkgrin:

Isn't that the truth about the old mortar. We find all kinds of crap in the old mud beds that we demo. Never found any coins, but I've found pig hair (was mixed in with plaster), candy wrappers, cigarettes, liquor bottles, rocks, nails and so on. We also see in the mortar different layers that are composed of sand grains of different sizes, and it's clear that layer after layer was floated at different times. We tore out a floor last year and we could see four distinct layers, which I took to mean that they floated the mud in over four separate days.

You mentioned the Smithsonian having victorian floors-it's probably the original building, built in the mid 1800's, the one that is made of red sandstone? I need to go and see that soon and get some pics for everyone to see.

I'd love to hear more about your travels around the US and the places where you've worked.:thumbsup:

Reply to Tribute to Tenchman in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Thought it might be a bit of fun (and maybe educational) for members to share a few stories of...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
A
Hi guys Just a quick update on phil for you all. He's out of hospital now and in a new...
2 3
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
Hi everyone. Just had a tiler do some tiling on a job for me.. I was not on this job when he...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
T
DIY SOS. Helping people without time or money, in need desperate need to get a project...
Replies
Views
M
who knows him?.... this guy added me ages ago about the time a few select guys did on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tribute to Tenchman
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.