Discuss Two bathrooms in...attempted twice by in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I certainly hope im right in thinking Tiling will never become a regulated trade like electrics and gas because I is not seen as life threatening if it is done wrong. I for one would object anyway. I am perfectly capable of tiling my own stuff so why should I get a pro in to do it. Why should I be regulated out of one it... Making buyers .( clients etc.) more aware of what to look for would be acceptable and a guild style system would be great, like the federation of master builders etc....

D

destroyer2813

It is not tiling to regulate alan.. it is wet areas , make it law to tank said areas , insurance comps would welcome it i am sure ... but the best thing is to introduce permits... any alteration work must require a permit.. and this should do away with the cash in hand i can do that cowboys...

You not seen Holmes on homes still plenty of bodge ups happen over there even with the permit system

C

charlie1

Some advice from myself to any general public looking for a professional to do work in your house. Client need to wise up in this day age, if I'm spending lets say 500 quid on a pro doing something to my house then I want to get recommendations and portfolio, then I would want a detailed explanation of exactly what the where going to do with an itemised price. Lastly, have your bs alert on full for duration of job, avoid idle chit chat about the kids of that your doing at the weekend, limit all conversations to the job in hand. Look out for red flags, time keeping, untidiness, unprofessionalism.

D

DHTiling

You not seen Holmes on homes still plenty of bodge ups happen over there even with the permit system

I know what you mean but we could make a better permit system, regulate it correctly and it would work... it is just how to set such a system up to prevent loop holes and cowboys getting around legal registration for such a scheme..

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Some advice from myself to any general public looking for a professional to do work in your house. Client need to wise up in this day age, if I'm spending lets say 500 quid on a pro doing something to my house then I want to get recommendations and portfolio, then I would want a detailed explanation of exactly what the where going to do with an itemised price. Lastly, have your bs alert on full for duration of job, avoid idle chit chat about the kids of that your doing at the weekend, limit all conversations to the job in hand. Look out for red flags, time keeping, untidiness, unprofessionalism.

I would say this works against us, I always try and enter into conversations about other stuff. I did a latex job for a builder last week and got talking to the client. Turns out he's a very well connected local business man, his company sponsors a rider in the British Superbikes. He's got huge business premises that always need work doing and then asked for a few cards that he could give to people. A bit of networking like that can work wonders and lead to loads of future work.

okay here we go peeps. I was expecting more of a horror show but its still bad.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg
15.jpg

I told the guy I would sort it for him, the rest of the house has been immaculately decorated and it turns out the decorator is the adviser on a trusted tiler. In my eyes that makes him liable but would it stand up in court ?

He wants it sorted to sell and I said I would do it right and leave him happy. He's been passed onto from a previous job. Customer happy. He dumped a set of keys in my hands and said get on with it. Nice bloke, my type of bloke.

I am getting sick of ripping out rubbish though.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Two bathrooms in...attempted twice by in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
O
.......so as u've probably already seen, @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin exhibits at the Sleep Exhibition...
Replies
Views
M
Took someone on from here, based on their supposed 9 years experience.. and they jacked on the...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
MTiler
M
Bit of a long read......but it made me chuckle a lot. Pocket Taser Stun Gun, a great gift...
Replies
Views
Dougs Third Go
D
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB