Discuss Updating your Sat nav maps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SandyFloor

Right, I am going to do this NOW... but if it's a satellite navigation system why can't it be updated automatically via same system ??

All the receiver does is receive the location from redundant us military satellites by a kind of triangulation. The maps are loaded into the hard drive of the receiver and they correlate to show you your position on the map. As the streets and roads change the maps need to be updated. There will be more advanced systems that will update themselves coming onto the market due to the current satellites packing in and new ones being commissioned but this will need to be paid for probably by subscription.

G

Gazzer

Basically your receiver picks up the signal from any satellites available and then it knows what teh distance is to each satellite. The more sats it locks onto the more accurate it can be. Usually it needs 3 to get a fix. By knowing the different distances between your receiver and the satellites it can work out where you are on the planet.
The maps are different to each manufacturer of sat navs and can contain different details.
I used to do Geocaching with my kids when they were younger and when bush riding in Australia I would take my Garmin GPS unit with me. On returning home I could download the route from the GPS and onto the ordanance survey type maps on the PC then I could see the routes I took.
In times of war/conflict it has been said that the US can regulate how accurate GPS can be, During the Iraq war I noticed my Garmin wasnt as accurate as it had been at times.

U

user123

Alrighty... I think I have enough information now... really .......... actually......... really.... :)

Being cheeky, thanks Sandy and Neale for educating me ......... can I go now? :) :) :)

But have now updated my map and downloaded the free Hungarian grandmother voice and the Alexander teacher voice.. quite liked what he said on the voice sample.. "You have reached your destination. Please lie down as soon as possible." I want to know more.... :lol:

The Hungarian Grandmother said, in this great Hungarian accent (my ancestors were Hungarian, so a bit of blood line loyalty is coming in there)
"You have reached your destination. If you haven't you didn't listen to me properly." :lol: Brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somerset
Please keep up people, there is a lot to learn about satelite navigation. :welcome:

All you need to know about.....

GNSS that provide enhanced accuracy and integrity monitoring usable for civil navigation are classified as follows:[3]
  • GNSS-2 is the second generation of systems that independently provides a full civilian satellite navigation system, exemplified by the European Galileo positioning system. These systems will provide the accuracy and integrity monitoring necessary for civil navigation. This system consists of L1 and L2 frequencies for civil use and L5 for system integrity. Development is also in progress to provide GPS with civil use L2 and L5 frequencies, making it a GNSS-2 system.¹[citation needed]
  • Core Satellite navigation systems, currently GPS, Galileo and GLONASS.
  • Global Satellite Based Augmentation Systems (SBAS) such as Omnistar and StarFire.
  • Regional SBAS including WAAS(US), EGNOS (EU), MSAS (Japan) and GAGAN (India).
  • Regional Satellite Navigation Systems such as China's Beidou, India's yet-to-be-operational IRNSS, and Japan's proposed QZSS.
  • Continental scale Ground Based Augmentation Systems (GBAS) for example the Australian GRAS and the US Department of Transportation National Differential GPS (DGPS) service.
  • Regional scale GBAS such as CORS networks.
  • Local GBAS typified by a single GPS reference station operating Real Time Kinematic (RTK) corrections.
In development

GLONASS

Main article: GLONASS
The formerly Soviet, and now Russian, GLObal'naya NAvigatsionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema(Global Navigation Satellite System), or GLONASS, was a fully functional navigation constellation but after the collapse of the Soviet Union it fell into disrepair, leading to gaps in coverage and only partial availability. Restoration was underway in 2010.
Compass

Main article: Compass navigation system
China has indicated they intend to expand their regional navigation system, called Beidou or Big Dipper, into a global navigation system by 2020[4] a program that has been called Compass in China's official news agency Xinhua. The Compass system is proposed to utilize 30 medium Earth orbit satellites and five geostationary satellites. A 12-satellite regional version is expected to be completed by 2012.
Galileo

Main article: Galileo (satellite navigation)
The European Union and European Space Agency agreed in March 2002 to introduce their own alternative to GPS, called the Galileo positioning system. At a estimated price of EUR 3.0 billion,[5] the system of 30 MEO satellites was originally scheduled to be operational in 2010. The estimated year to become operational is 2014.[6] The first experimental satellite was launched on 28 December 2005[citation needed]. Galileo is expected to be compatible with the modernized GPS system. The receivers will be able to combine the signals from both Galileo and GPS satellites to greatly increase the accuracy. Galileo is now not expected to be in full service until 2020 at the earliest and at a substantially higher cost.[7]
Comparison of GNSS systems

SystemCountryCodingOrbital height & periodNumber of satellitesFrequencyStatusGPSUnited StatesCDMA20,200 km, 12.0h≥ 241.57542 GHz (L1 signal)
1.2276 GHz (L2 signal)operationalGLONASSRussiaFDMA/CDMA19,100 km, 11.3h24 (30 when CDMA signal launches)Around 1.602 GHz (SP)
Around 1.246 GHz (SP)operational with restrictions, CDMA in preparationGalileoEuropean UnionCDMA23,222 km, 14.1h2 test bed satellites in orbit
22 operational satellites budgeted1.164-1.215 GHz (E5a and E5b)
1.215-1.300 GHz (E6)
1.559-1.592 GHz (E2-L1-E11)in preparationCOMPASSChinaCDMA21,150 km, 12.6h35[8]B1: 1,561098 GHz
B1-2: 1.589742 GHz
B2: 1.207.14 GHz
B3: 1.26852 GHz5 satellites operational, additional 30 satellites planned

PS - Many thanks to:
Global navigation satellite system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:lol::lol::lol:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
mine doesn't recognise my house number, it'll take me to number 6, but not number 5:lol::lol:

I too have that problem. In fact the terrace I live in has 7 houses in it. it used to start at Number 1 then someone put one at the front end so we have a number zero. we have a 1 a 2 a 3 a 5 and a 6. I live at number 4 which apparently does not exist........ strange that the bloomin census forms and the tax bills always seem to find it though eh!

Reply to Updating your Sat nav maps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
no i cant do your job before xmas..!!!!!! turning down 2/3 jobs per day all because it has to...
Replies
Views
J
So I've had my 1200 for a while now and it's done 5-600 cuts, mainly travertine, 610 x 405 x...
Replies
Views
Jelthetiler
J
J
Hi guys, We bought our first house in 2012 and, like most first houses, it was in a terrible...
Replies
Views
J
K
well as you all know i was working on my mums job till today when she went to fare. just cant do...
Replies
Views
kent tiler
K

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Updating your Sat nav maps
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.