Discuss Would you consider this quality work? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Take a pic from ceiling height so we can see at least 8 corners to see if there is size variation.
Those look like glazed porcelain or ceramic tiles not rectified porcelain.Often one corner will curl up or down when made with that type of tile.(pain the butt to get flat)and not been rectified means they are normally out of square also.
Put 2 tiles face to face and see if they rock or can see light.
Also measure on the diagonal each way to see if tiles are square.

Last edited:

average

TF
Uk
I'd be interested to see 2 joints in sequence next to each other in one photo, if the tiles are sized wrong then you can have 1 joint looking wrong and the next 1 looking right, still fixer should be oddsing out the differences, and you say they are are 80x 80 when you check them but how exact are you beong, I rarely find tiles are exactly 800 x 800 or 600 x 600 etc. Don't get me wrong there is some workmanship there that needs addressing but sometimes the tiles can dictate the level of quality that can be achievex. If that is the case he should certainly of spoken to about it right from the off and even more so because it's clear the level of quality you are expecting.

This is why i always use bigger spacers on floor tiles.

T

Toni

IMG_6079.JPG
Hi everyone,

Thank you ever so much for the replys.

I now have a new issue. The tiles have started to sound a bit hollow and after our last issue I know that's bad. That started to happen last time and it just got worse and worse and is part of the reason we re-did the tiles before.

When we were getting the tiles up last time the tiler said he couldn't believe they came up clean. Virtually no adhesive stuck to the tiles at all which he said was very unusual.

This time he squeezed the tiles down a load to make sure the adhesive would stick to them.

I've just taken one up and again to see what's going on this time and there is no adhesive on the tile. It's stuck to the floor like glue but the tiles come up virtually bare.

Does the way the adhesive has been done look correct based on this pic? It is over ufh if that matters. And I followed the instructions on restarting the ufh to the letter of the manufacturers guidelines. Left it off for about 28 days and then turned it up very slowly day by day to get it up to temp.

I think the way the tiler has stuck them down is probably is ok and the adhesives starting to fail for a second time but I wanted to ask for your opinion if you can help?

This is an unbelievable predicament to be in.

Thank you all so much

T

Toni

Thanks Terry, I'd say no to both of those - he was working fresh with the adhesive so there is no way it would skin up and the tiles arent dusty at all really - I just checked an unopened pack and they are fine.

Thanks Antoino - is that absolutely vital? I didnt think it was as long as the tiles were smudged down a load when fitting.

Is buttering necessary as part of the tiling standards book (sorry I'm not sure what its called) - if it is then the tilers would be to blame but I'm not sure it actually is in there - so I think he's done enough here?

I

Italy

Thanks Terry, I'd say no to both of those - he was working fresh with the adhesive so there is no way it would skin up and the tiles arent dusty at all really - I just checked an unopened pack and they are fine.

Thanks Antoino - is that absolutely vital? I didnt think it was as long as the tiles were smudged down a load when fitting.

Is buttering necessary as part of the tiling standards book (sorry I'm not sure what its called) - if it is then the tilers would be to blame but I'm not sure it actually is in there - so I think he's done enough here?
UNI standards, he says, over 60cm to the side, buttering.
those tiles, are also made to banana, it is absolutely vital, but it is mandatory.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Widnes
Usually in the tile sheds, the 'best' tiler that they tend to recommend the most, tends to be the bloke who spends the most, or sends them a good flow of gullible punters.
He might also bring them butties on a morning, donuts on a Friday, hangs around for an hour drinking the free coffee etc...

By no means do they tend to be the best tilers though

only my opinion, obvs.
I do love a good chat my self I may be guilty of plying people with doughnuts lol

Reply to Would you consider this quality work? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hello, after tiling the kitchen area I did grouting but I am not happy with the results. The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB