Discuss any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

shes only 27 so i think shes just started out doing this and forgot to mention to me she wasnt experienced in tiling , i just decided to give her a go liked idea of a woman working in my house for a change thought she would be neater and cleaner etc lol, back fired big time

can you be more specific. Did she forget to tell you she was not experienced or are you now just telling us this information that she told you before the job started that she was not experienced?

S

sparkle333

she never mentioned to me she wasnt experienced in tiling, im just realising this from the response ive had here, if she had told me no way would i have let her do my bathroom.

ive just had a reply from her, basically saying shes injured her neck plastering and wont be available for work for a while, i can either wait and she will sort out what she has accepted as her fault, which is 1 tile on the side of my window lol not ones out above bath, the 1 sunken border and the couple of areas where the adhesive is showing above grout. no mention of floor broken tiles, the 2 chipped tiles etc. she did say if i couldnt wait to get someone else out to sort this couple of things out and she wont charge me for work shes done so far. that appears fair enough unless having to have all the work re done and all the costs for tiles, adhesive, grout, costs more than what i owe her and thats without the fact my heating mat could be ruined too. i need to decide what to do and i guess i need a tiler here to give me an honest opinion and quote

A

AETilingFloorin

The question you need to ask yourself is if the bits she has accepted fault for get repaired/replaced will you be happy having to look at the other faults everyday now you know they are there? If not then dont accept what she has said.

The heating mat will need to be checked first if its working, it will only get ruined if you decide you want the tiles up taking up.

Ring another tiler close to you to come round and give you a quote for the repairs and another quote for a complete rip out and restart then go to her with the quotes and see what she says then.

R

Rossymcg

Hello sparkle,
this is one long thread, I've read some of it but not all,
why did you let her continue tiling after day 1? The job can only be described as a mess,
did you not ask to look at some of her work prior to her starting? Not wanting to come across as harsh but that's the 1st thing I be asking before I let someone loose on something that mattered to me,
what ever excuses she's using its pony, rule number 1 for me when pricing a job is check walls for plumb and straightness and floors for level so I can quote for the right amount of materials and the right amount of prep work,
good luck

C

charlie1

Going by the pics, I'd say the whole job is a wright off! You can change a tile that looks off.but all you do is move the problem (lippage) to another part of the tile. A lot of novice "tilers" can be caught out when doing a brick bond installation because they don't understand how if differs from a straight bond installation. 2 factors need to be considered when doing a brick bond installation, 1, setting out but the second factor to be considered (and the most important one) is the "plane" of the tiles must be true! , this is why you are seeing what appears to be bowed tiles!!! My guess is, when she started tiling she did not set the plane of the tiles by using a large level across the face of the tiles, you can get away with it on a normal installation but not brick bond

S

sparkle333

im not a tiler and to me it didnt look too bad, its like anything if you dont know about any job you wouldnt know whats right or not,i did think the thin cuts looked odd but thought that was how it was supposed to be cos she said walls were out, it was only when i was sitting in the bath day 3 of her tiling that i noticed a few mistakes, then took a closer look, then ex came next day and said it wasnt great, the floor tiles didnt break til after day 3 anyway, she did this mon to weds last wk and was coming back sat to finish but has an injury and never got back. so im left with it about 3/4 done an wondering where to go from here really

G

Gazzer

No point getting upset over it. You have proof of shoddy workmanship.

I will say though that we are taking your word for all this. After all we dont know if "she" mentioned the dodgy walls etc before commencing the tiling and you may have said no to a re plaster etc and instructed her to "just tile ".
Please do not read that as I am saying you havent told the truth but only that we have only heard one side of the story.

S

sparkle333

i know there are 2 sides to every story, she didnt say walls needed skimming til half way through job although now due to my complaint saying she did from the beginning which isnt true and if they did need skimming why did she take the job on and start it , that doesnt make sense . there are lots of other issues that have been done by carelessness even if walls were slightly out, one wall was newly boarded and even the tiles on that are not completely flat ive got some pics if you want to see these .

shes trying everything she can to get out of this and now saying dr has said shes not fit to work in this type of work again , very strange all of a sudden

im not in the habit of lying i am an honest person and tried to be as honest as possible

S

sparkle333

i agree with you, and when i said that to her she said cos the plumber was putting in bathroom at the time and carpenter doing the cupboard they were in the way to have a proper look , shes actually apologised to me at last after i said ive taken legal advice, ive managed to get hold of trading standards and they have told me shes in breach of contract of goods and services act due to the fact she hasnt completed job with care and skill, and i have to put this in writing to her to try and claim for damages, once iv got another quote etc

S

sparkle333

indeedy and trying to find someone else and if its needs completely redoing got to find that money til i get if off her which could take ages :-( so im hoping that some of it can be salvaged and worked around even if some bits are not perfect but way better than it is now, i think i can cope with a few of the lipping areas etc, just not the sunk in borders and out of alignment tiles, and the thin edges are a bit annoying too

Reply to any advice re bad tiling job would be appreciated in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB