UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss How some french manufacturers tumble thier limestome. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

Just come back from a very interesting trip to burgundy france to view the stone i will be fixing in few months in uk.
Saw all sorts of manufacture process, from cutting stone from block in to tiles as we receive in uk plus methods to antique stone/tumbling/brushing /flaming honing / and mixtures of each that give that subtle difference to a floor.
Will only post couple now as not sure how many people will be interested.
For me it was very interesting.
Now i know how we get the product we fix and where its journey starts from.
france 021.jpg france 016.jpg france 012.jpg france 026.jpg france 018.jpg france 023.jpg

J

jonnyc

the pics so far show the size of block cut from quarry .
the block is then cut in to slabs
slabs cut in to tile size.
In this instance tiles @ 40mm thick put in to tumbling trough that rotates stone bathed in pebbles which takes the sharp edges off .
they cannot tumble a 20mm thick tile as it will break so do it at double thickness = 40mm.
it then goes on tile line and gets sliced in two pieces @20mm thick , so you get two faces and edges that have tumbled look.
in this instance tiles are then brushed with nylon tipped pads of various grades as on photo connected to circular drive boards.
the tile could have a number of surface applications applied on the tile line with varoius pads or brushes.
these photos are not the reason i went to burgundy .

The reason I went was because I have a good job in cotswolds in few months and the particular stone that I am fixing on behalf of a stone supplier in uk is unique and can only be found in one small quarry in burgundy.
this stone changes colour and appearance through the beds and it was important to inspect the slabs after cut from block to see that the colour and variance matched samples supplied and therefore approve .
I will keep the photos of this stone till I enter the job for JOTM in the future when works completed,as I think it will be interesting to see the stone in the side of quarry and follow it through the whole process and then see how it looks as the finished article.
when a client says they cant believe how much they have paid for their stone , maybe then i can actually show them the amount of work involved to deliver them the product they see at the end.#
It wont look so expensive then.

I do have many photos of the block and slabs that i went to view before they are turned in to 800 x600 x20 mm tiles.
I went to view because needed to be sure that

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to How some french manufacturers tumble thier limestome. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hi there, Hopefully there will be a few experts on here that can help with this very concerning...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
S
I am putting this in here as its part of a court case where the builder has asked Don Slade from...
Replies
Views
Diamond Pool Finishers
D
I have visited recently a few tile failures and found that the vast majority of them are due...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
J
IF YOUVE HAD A BAD CLIENT RECENTLY READ ABOUT THIS ONE . MAY MAKEYOU FEEL BETTER THEJOB FROM...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T
M
I've seen a few posts on this site unfortunately from people who have been stiffed by...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.