Discuss Outbid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

murf

Just found out today that I had been outbid for a job on a new showroom floor, consisting of 720 m2. I priced this job keenly at 13euros per m2, a drop of 7euros on last years price. The guy who won this job, went in at 10euros perm2. What business can sustain a price cut of 50% and hope to continue into the future. This is truly a race to the bottom and I don't know how long I can avoid the dole q.:thumbsdown:

A

Aston

mate, sorry to hear that..

my advice is get out of the site / commercial scenarios for the time being if you are working alone or with a apprentice...stick to domestics where you can..the prices on commercial simply boil down to who can do it the cheapest at the moment or who you are in with ;0) ...at least on the domestic side of things, people take into account how professional you are etc etc....

ctd and topps in liverpool and warrington have had big increases in sales during the past month and they reckon things are looking up a bit mate...just do what you can to stand out lke fit the ufh and aim at the installation of wet rooms...i will sub the plumbing out because its too much hassle for me but if you can do a bit of skimming or fir the plastic tongue and groove ceilings then it all helps......if you need any tips on plastering then i'll defo help where i can..

keep going mate, survival of the fittest and all that ;0) its gona take more than a double dip recession to stop us lot hey..oh and team up with any local lads from on here...it all helps dosent it..

all the best
ed

H

hillhead

Try to keep your head up John,
it's definitely trying times in Ireland right now,both south and north !
I have a full house on in Ardee,i have a 80m2 floor completed 3 months ago to start it,
i could do with getting back there but i spoke to the customer yesterday,they are waiting on money from solicitor so have chased everyone from the site until they get the money! Not great that.
I'm on site work at the minute on low enough rates but i do all the work for this company and they are struggling like most so i just play ball because of how much i do for them,you know how low you can go John so think about it and maybe try to pull something from materials etc? you can't sit back either,are the 10 euro guys doing good work? i know of a 75m2 floor that was put down at £8 m2 lately, i have to price the lifting and re tiling of it! tiles lipping,40-50% coverage etc.not good.I told the guy(who is a tile shop employee) he paid peanuts and got a monkey to tile his floor.I also advised him to seek legal advice about it.

H

hillhead

Very sorry to hear that John,
i have a brother who was a shuttering joiner in Dublin,all dried up too.
he lives in Monaghan,now he's a chimney sweep and is getting work every day ! good on him i say.
Is the tile shops quiet too,the economy is bad with you's and the interest on the debt is ridiculously high ! worrying times.
I have no contact's south of Drogheda really and they are quiet now too.

Reply to Outbid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Think i got a bit of a bargain today, so thought i'd share. Got a customer that wants UFH under...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
A
hi everyone, firstly i went to have a look at a kitchen floor that needed tiling.now there were...
Replies
Views
D
just want to share what i witnessed last week,i was working up in london ,well croyden,tiling...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T
B
Hi Everyone, Discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago whilst looking around for information...
Replies
Views
baggiebuckster
B
G
What a diverse week it has been, but its great. Monday started with laying an under floor...
Replies
Views
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Outbid
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.