Discuss Thinking about things.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Somerset
Gisella you have certainly made us all think about something other than addy and tile cutters tonite. Interesting point about art. I like tiling because I love to create something beautiful. Now laying someones B & Q tacky floor tiles may not fit that but it does mean that I can have access to some very satisfying jobs, and make a living from it (well most of the time).

Its getting late to start too much philosophising, but I always liked the view of (I think it is) the Hindu's about different phases of life each lasting about 20 years - learning, working, family, and spirituality (or something like that). In any event, you need to comfortable with who you are, and not get too uptight about what you are not. I do believe that a balanced person (i.e. someone who can face up to lifes problems without dropping out) needs to sort all this out before they reach the stage where the daily drudge of life depresses them. You also need to make space in your life for all those phases to satisfy your personal needs.

Somerset
Here's something from a very unlikely source that has lodged itself in my mind

[video=youtube;X4CvFWCULuI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4CvFWCULuI&feature=related[/video]

Obtuse, but our lives should strive for only one thing. That is what a life goal is all about. For me (and my wife shares the aim in life) its happiness. Thats a good goal because life becomes what you make it.

You may prefer love, spirituality, achievement, understanding, experience, sustainability (of life or the natural world), acquisition, power, change - you should get the drift now. Its simply a case of deciding what your life will mean if you pursue your goal, then decide what you want to do to achieve it. Dont make your life goal too narrow "I want to be Prime Minister" is a poor goal - only a very narrow course of action in life will achieve this, and the chance of failure is almost 99% - so you are likely to be sorely disappointed.

The objectives to achieve your goal need to be SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and time constrained).

The important thing is to make sure that whatever you do in your life, it adds something to your lifetime purpose (or goal). Some objectives fit several criteria, for example, choosing a line of work or career could fulfill happiness, achievement, acquisition. power or experience. creating your family could likewise work towards several differnet goals - but it is simpler, easier, and possibly more satisfying just to set one aim in life.

So take the dog for a walk, and decide what you want out of life. Dont be too esoteric, no need to be fancy, and definitely dont try to be clever - life is better than that! :stuart:

And now i really will stop philosophising, and get back to tiling.

Love ya all!

H

hillhead

I have plans ahead too, i know things i have to keep focused on etc.
I even eye up my next bike,lol.
But recession may knock a lot of us sideways therefore people easily become depressed.
My wife has seen her earnings drop to the worst ever so more pressure on me now to keep going strong, i encourage her to keep looking at what we have and keep chin up.
I love my beer too but there is pleasure in more things than that...:smilewinkgrin:

U

user123

and decide what you want out of life....

reading through the posts again it has occurred to me that no-one really got what I meant, so I can't have put the question very well - I was simply talking about nurturing the ability to consider 'the norm'as equally blissfully wonderful as we consider pain and disasters as terrible - thatsurely the balance to pain and disasters has to lie within our brainpower that is fed by our own attitudes. You see visually I am very good, it's an artist thing I suppose, in looking, seeing, enjoying. Physically I have been more sensitive to pain then to simple pleasures like a soft towel, the coolness of the water, the wind in my face. Why? Because my brain tends to go ten to the dozen, bursting with mainly creative ideas, and despite having found stillness when I meditate, (something I have done for 30 odd years now) to be in the here and now physically/sensually aware I find much harder - along with most other people I suspect.

I decided what I wanted in life very early, at age 4 I decided, I knew and told everyone around me, that I wanted to live in the UK, and that I simply wanted to experience everything there is to be experienced in life, a dangerous wish I discovered later but yes, a full life I have had already, so I have gone the right way. And I want to spread happiness. I love spreading smiles, and making people feel good, because essentially I feel so blessed and happy to be alive, doubly because my twinbrother died when we were 19, that has always been my main motivator behind everything.So looking out the window first thing in the morning and sniffing the air, with the disaster in Japan it simply struck me that that kind of ordinariness would be such bliss to the Japanese (but one example) now, and the next logical conclusion is that we should not only experience this bliss when made aware how very different it could be, it should be as automatic as feeling pain, it should push itself as much in the forefront of our experience as a pain. And this I believe now is training, sensitising our senses toward how magical and beautiful our normal sensory environment is.
The last couple of days I have been more aware than usual of the smoothness of keyboard, the softness of the towels, sheets pillow, clothes, the sense of well being within my body, the hot mug of tea, the steam, ... and it's all so simple.And yes, all that adds to our happiness, because without continual awareness of what we have, on every level, happiness eludes us if only for moments, depending how good we are at gratitude and appreciation of the tiniest things. It's so good to be alive, and to reach further and further into the experience of it, rather than stay on the surface of it giving importance to things that in the end don't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Thinking about things.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I thought I'd create a thread so we can link each other to the last thing we bought on eBay, so...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
anne_mutens
A
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
S
Hello, I’m considering a career in tiling and come across this site which I have already found...
2 3
Replies
Views
kirkster
K
G
If I ever was cool that is.. For the past year I have been working with my brother since our...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
Yesterday I went for a quick ski session at Manchester Chill Factore (that's how they spell it...
2 3
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Thinking about things..
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.