Discuss Thinking about things.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

Ehm, good for you, Liz, but that was not the point? The point was about being able to naturally experience the happy equivalent to pain, including physical pain, spontaneously, as part of life, not due to any circumstance - there is a slipped disc - intensily bad pain, and an ******, intensily great pleasure, but which one lasts longer? ... anhow....

sorry G, guess I missed your point. I don't measure my life by pain or pleasure though. I suppose in a way, I don't think too deeply about life and just get on with it.

D

DHTiling

Ehm, good for you, Liz, but that was not the point? The point was about being able to naturally experience the happy equivalent to pain, including physical pain, spontaneously, as part of life, not due to any circumstance - there is a slipped disc - intensily bad pain, and an ******, intensily great pleasure, but which one lasts longer? ... anhow....

Beer and an ******... wow! perfect thread..:lol:

Somerset
When I was a teenager, the meaning of life and interpreting the latest Pink Floyd album, were contentitious and muchly debated issues. When you get old(er) you realise that life is really simple.

The meaning of life is evolution - a journey from the beginning to the end of time. The purpose of our humble human lives is to do our bit to this evolution of the life, the universe and everything. In plain words, we are here to create life that in turn creates better life. Sorry folks, but we may be here to have babies and nothing else! :baby:

Pleasure and pain are relative matters. What is painful to you may be painless to me. Your passion may not be mine. :7:

Physical pain may be seen as a limiter to our lives - it stops us doing things that harm our bodies - thereby slowing the evolution goal. Physical pleasure actually causes many of the same effects as physical pain - sweating, hyperventilating, shouting out loud, shaking, a mental focus entirely on the pain or pleasure. Physical pain is usually as short lived as physical pleasure. :whip:

Psychological pain and pleasure are emotions. If you enjoy an emotion or sensation - you invariably repeat it. The more you repeat it the more short-lived it becomes, until the point it may no longer cause us pleasure. You rarely enjoy a painful experience, and never repeat it - but the memory of it may live with you forever. Hence we tend to belive that pain lasts longer than pleasure.

:love: The hardest emotion to cope with is love. The pain of losing a loved one may never effectively end when (or if) we realise "that" will never be again. This is an extremely strong form of love - the loss of a loved one. Death and divorce remain the most traumatic events to cope with during our lives.

It is perhaps worth considering that we have evolved into creatures that over indulge in the pleasureable, diminishing its value, and belittling our pleasure emotions with our excess. Hence we may only enjoy the pleasure of now, and could have started a dangerous process of devolution back to the animals we once were. :eek:mg_smile:

U

user123

Physical pain is usually as short lived as physical pleasure - a lovely reply, Andy, I can otherwise relate to and agree with fully, but as to this point in bold, you and yours must have had a truly blessed and sheltered life to believe that, longmay it continue... and how easy that would be.... if you can find chronic physical pleasure as strongly and persistently as others battle chronic physical pain, then you are indeed awake to the degree I feel I might yet discover. but then you maybe a whole 21 months older than me... :) more to look forward then.. :)

D

DHTiling

When I was a teenager, the meaning of life and interpreting the latest Pink Floyd album, were contentitious and muchly debated issues. When you get old(er) you realise that life is really simple.

The meaning of life is evolution - a journey from the beginning to the end of time. The purpose of our humble human lives is to do our bit to this evolution of the life, the universe and everything. In plain words, we are here to create life that in turn creates better life. Sorry folks, but we may be here to have babies and nothing else! :baby:

Pleasure and pain are relative matters. What is painful to you may be painless to me. Your passion may not be mine. :7:

Physical pain may be seen as a limiter to our lives - it stops us doing things that harm our bodies - thereby slowing the evolution goal. Physical pleasure actually causes many of the same effects as physical pain - sweating, hyperventilating, shouting out loud, shaking, a mental focus entirely on the pain or pleasure. Physical pain is usually as short lived as physical pleasure. :whip:

Psychological pain and pleasure are emotions. If you enjoy an emotion or sensation - you invariably repeat it. The more you repeat it the more short-lived it becomes, until the point it may no longer cause us pleasure. You rarely enjoy a painful experience, and never repeat it - but the memory of it may live with you forever. Hence we tend to belive that pain lasts longer than pleasure.

:love: The hardest emotion to cope with is love. The pain of losing a loved one may never effectively end when (or if) we realise "that" will never be again. This is an extremely strong form of love - the loss of a loved one. Death and divorce remain the most traumatic events to cope with during our lives.

It is perhaps worth considering that we have evolved into creatures that over indulge in the pleasureable, diminishing its value, and belittling our pleasure emotions with our excess. Hence we may only enjoy the pleasure of now, and could have started a dangerous process of devolution back to the animals we once were. :eek:mg_smile:
Are you sure you are MALE?
:lol:

Somerset
Physical pain is usually as short lived as physical pleasure - a lovely reply, Andy, I can otherwise relate to and agree with fully, but as to this point in bold, you and yours must have had a truly blessed and sheltered life to believe that, longmay it continue... and how easy that would be.... if you can find chronic physical pleasure as strongly and persistently as others battle chronic physical pain, then you are indeed awake to the degree I feel I might yet discover. but then you maybe a whole 21 months older than me... :) more to look forward then.. :)

You have a very valid point about chronic illness. Perhaps I was a little too general with the term "usually."

Somerset
Nothing to do with feminine, my friend, you're just someone who can think deeply :thumbsup:

either that or you just copied and pasted it :lol:

Wikipedia rules!!

Nothing that deep, in my previous career I had to sort out my Life Goal (when you are lying on your deathbed, looking back on your life, what do you want to have achieved?) That makes you clear all the muddle from your life, and go for it.

So now I am tiling lol!

U

user123

Exactly, Sandy, I also think about life and how I can develop further all the time .. there is more to us than just survival and procreation, there is a choice how to use the brainpower we have been given and are still continuously developing. Spiritual awareness is one thing and a subject just too big to get into here, and the ability to cope with and prosper in every day life another ... and still there is something more, like an itch you can't reach, but it has to do with developing abilities to take us beyond it all, but to succeed in that we have to be able to conquer pain first, to free ourselves up for what the urge to be positive for is all about .. ok, :lol: I stop now ... I know what I mean... :)

U

user123

Wikipedia rules!!

Nothing that deep, in my previous career I had to sort out my Life Goal (when you are lying on your deathbed, looking back on your life, what do you want to have achieved?) That makes you clear all the muddle from your life, and go for it.

So now I am tiling lol!

After I finally came out of an anaesthetic I reacted badly to I had such a moment... and I decided from now on, no more practice, no more patients, - an yes to my deeper down love, art - so now I'm doing mosaics. :lol: It took that, being shocked into being aware that I easily could have been no more to make me alert to the true freedom I have to choose. Gives you the taste for it I suppose, mental freedom ... how exciting to find out what else I can do with it... :)

Reply to Thinking about things.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I thought I'd create a thread so we can link each other to the last thing we bought on eBay, so...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
anne_mutens
A
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
S
Hello, I’m considering a career in tiling and come across this site which I have already found...
2 3
Replies
Views
kirkster
K
G
If I ever was cool that is.. For the past year I have been working with my brother since our...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
Yesterday I went for a quick ski session at Manchester Chill Factore (that's how they spell it...
2 3
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Thinking about things..
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.