Discuss web page/internet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

merit

TF
posting messages on this forum is like buses
havnt done one for ages and then i bang three off in a row ha ha
iv e always thought of getting a web page together and step into the www, but because work has only been ticking over after the new year, i thought it would be the perfect time
problem i got is, the photos ive taken, may contrevene image rights, who owns them?
i do alot of sub contract work and these photos show bathrooms with the main companys
products in them,
all customers have given permision,but i need to tread carefully,
ive looked on some tilers sites and they have just copied and pasted ctd catalouge
by the looks of things
could be a costly experience

cheers merit

G

Gazzer

As above, my photos are just what I tend to snap on my phone. Most clients dont mind. It is polite though not to show windows and doors for secuity reasons although how anyone seeing a photo could tell where that job is in the country is beyond me unless you give the name and address.
I usually ask at the end of a job anyway and I cant remember anyone refusing me a photo, some are even thrilled by it.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Websites are the future! (or now?)

Do it. And take lots of nice pictures off all your work. And I personally like to see the odd picture that doesn't look too professional which proves they've been taken on the job.

If somebody stole a single picture of my own and used it and claimed it was theirs I'd sue their *** for more than they're worth. I'd want his tools, his van, the lot. I hate that.

But newer tilers taking general shots of tilers and sticking it on their website is okay, border line, but they need to say they're "examples of what can be done" or whatever.

But yeah, an optimised website (so one that ranks well in the search engines) can pay for itself in one job. And you should expect to get calls within weeks of it ranking well. And eventually quite a few jobs per month off it providing there are not dozens of tilers with all smart high ranking websites competing for the traffic with you.

And if you're the first tiler to rank well in your area, you're hard to knock down the search engine positions. So it's important to claim that no1 spot as soon as you can afford the investment.

B

biffa

I started a website just after xmas, i have a cousin who does that sort of thing. Seems the way forward because more and more people are looking online for things rather than using phone books and papers etc. Had a few inquiries but its early days yet. I paid for the domain which is about £30 a year, then its just a matter of building it yourself or getting someone to do it for you. Mine is www.sjbyford-tiling .co.uk. google rang me and wanted £99 a month to put me on the first page but my cousin knew how to get me up the rankings naturally and now i'm on the first page, so dont fall for anyone offering to raise your ranking for cash. If you need advice my cousin has a link on my site.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
cheers all
looks like a web site then,any reccommendations of designers used
If you can wait a few weeks I'll recommend one to you, but for the moment we're a bit stuck, our guy sadly passed away a week or so ago.
bit off subject here, but on the subject of websites, i read here somewhere someon
e mentioning that paid websites were better than ones hosted for free. is there any posts on why that is, as i have a free site, and wondering what the advantages are to paying for one.
I said and say that. I'd recommend getting all the free directory listings you can get your hands on. But expect cold callers trying to get you to upgrade for some fee, often claiming they have customers waiting to call you but don't have a tiler in your area, so don't listen to 'em. But the right ones can get you a bit of business (Contractor Forum | Builders Forum | Building Forum for Professional Contractors and Tradesmen has an article on that website listing some decent free ones) over the year.

But a free website, hosted free, often on a sub-domain name (so www.something.TheirWebName.com[ instead of ww.YourWebName.com), often with advertisements (which again you don't want) generally don't rank that well in the search engines. Partly because if they did they could dominate and they'd be worth billions and not just millions, but partly because they have to make their customers user interface easy which limits customisation options, often the exact ones you need to optimise a website.
s
You can get a complete website built yourself, by yourself, hosted, with a domain name, and you'd be able to edit the pages if you can work this forum, for around £50 - £100 per year. It'd work okay, you'd need to keep on top of optimising it, though easy, you'd still probably be checking things often with me and whoever else helps you (which i'd be happy to do by the way) which takes time up. But you'd get there and can add photo's and whatnot.

Or, you pay about £500 for the first year (that's a price we managed to agree with a firm due to the amount of work we could pass them, otherwise expect to pay £750 - £1000+ - I've heard of people being quoted £3000+ even in this economy when designers are plentiful - but the right ones still have to reduce their prices to match the industry, as in tiling I suppose), then about £50 - £100 thereafter and it's professionally designed initially (hence the fee) and then still the same as the first case every year thereafter. You can add things, change things, no cost at all, support comes with it FOC and often what you want done or changed gets done for you. Dave does his now (David Howe Tiling | Tiler in Durham | North East Tilers) and that's the sort of thing you'd expect. But what you don't see by looking at the website is this tiler in durham - Google Search - click all those links in the natural listing section (so the listing in white on the left - not the adverts) and see how many out of the 10 listing either ends up on Dave's website, or has a link to Dave's website on the very page you're on. I'd say 6 to 8 out of 10 and it's been like that for a few years now.

That's the difference between a free website, done yourself, or even a paid for one which gets you lots of benefits and control but costs you time optimising it, or even a fully paid for one that is managed mostly for you, but still lets you change text yourself, add pictures yourself, and everything you want to do EXCEPT optimise it.

I think of it like this. In your books over 12 months you'll have all your incomings and all your outgoings. Whilst a website is an outgoing, it's also part of, and it'd be a big part of my own, advertising budget which is offset against your tax bill and even if it wasn't, it'd pay it's £500 on the first couple of crappy jobs, let alone the type of jobs you'd be aiming for with a website such as UFH, stone work, commercial kitchens, wetrooms, etc etc - very little push on "we do kitchen splashbacks" will prevent you getting them. And when you do you're lucky enough to price them out if you're busy.
Get yourself with TilersForums Arms access as I explain quite a bit more in there.
Always feel free to PM me.

J

johnryan

well what you say definitely makes sense, and i shall be looking into getting that done as soon as possible. i'll check out a few more of your posts in the tilers arms too. i think i'd prefer to build it myself though, as i know how to use dreamweaver, and my eldest son is pretty good on it too and can use html and css, though i know very little about hosting. i do know however that if you do a search for a tiler in kent, that i've never seen my site come up in a search. thanks for taking the time to get me up to speed a bit more, i look forward to reading more on the subject. i know absolutely nothing about advertising, so a good website should be a good place to start i think. again thanks for the post, it's much appreciated. cheers.

john

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
well what you say definitely makes sense, and i shall be looking into getting that done as soon as possible. i'll check out a few more of your posts in the tilers arms too. i think i'd prefer to build it myself though, as i know how to use dreamweaver, and my eldest son is pretty good on it too and can use html and css, though i know very little about hosting. i do know however that if you do a search for a tiler in kent, that i've never seen my site come up in a search. thanks for taking the time to get me up to speed a bit more, i look forward to reading more on the subject. i know absolutely nothing about advertising, so a good website should be a good place to start i think. again thanks for the post, it's much appreciated. cheers.

john

If that's the case, I can host you for £30 a year (cost price). And you can build it yourself or whatever, I use dreamweaver also, but I'd strongly recommend using wordpress and installing a mint theme with a smart gallery, and a decent seo plugin (pm me for the name of it). You buy your domain name though and you keep that in your name, that way, you have a copy of the website at all times, and you have control of your domain name so you can take it elsewhere at any time at no cost to yourself. However the hosting comes with some pretty decent features such a cPanel control panel's built in software installer, a spam email prevention system that I pay a lot extra for each month, 3 types of web stats, unlimited email addresses etc, along with one-click wordpress installation.

If you can beat that I'll take out a large hosting account out with the provider myself, too.

D

DHTiling

ok, that sounds like an excellent offer. not sure how to register a domain name though, i'm sure i can figure that out though. maybe it'd be better to continue with this using pms'? i'm definitely interested, and would like to go ahead, just may need a little help with a few pointers on the procedure. also, i haven't heard of wordpress. is that on linux or something?

My site is done with wordpress... Google luvs wordpress for ranking..

Reply to web page/internet in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

ive had a web site up and running for over a year now with the intention just to show clients as...
Replies
Views
Peter
P
S
hi ive just found this site trawling internet for advice re a tiling job im having done at the...
Replies
Views
D
Got me thinking the other day whether its worth having all these modern methods of communication...
Replies
Views
D
Below are the links to 37 small 20 second videos of every single special size that we produce...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
I often take note of who our members are using to build their websites with and I'm noticing...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
web page/internet
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.