Discuss Quality of Plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

blue_max

Excuse my ignorance but is that the PB u can just fix straight to with no PB fixing with carrying capacity of 100Kg?

As far as I am aware, it is just a denser version of plasterboard. About twice the weight which gives it its sound deadening properties. Reducing sound is always welcome and the additional strength does mean you don't have to skim. I was able to use it in a basement bedroom and it worked very well. Well worth putting on a ceiling.
I would never tile onto plasterboard again after ripping out my bathroom due to rot. Much prefer the insulated foam backer boards to tile onto. And Hardie Backer for the floor, due to having heating/water pipes in the floor. They act like a mini underfloor heating source, so HB will allow the heat to dissipate into the tiles (I hope!).

O

Old Mod

As far as I am aware, it is just a denser version of plasterboard. About twice the weight which gives it its sound deadening properties. Reducing sound is always welcome and the additional strength does mean you don't have to skim. I was able to use it in a basement bedroom and it worked very well. Well worth putting on a ceiling.
I would never tile onto plasterboard again after ripping out my bathroom due to rot. Much prefer the insulated foam backer boards to tile onto. And Hardie Backer for the floor, due to having heating/water pipes in the floor. They act like a mini underfloor heating source, so HB will allow the heat to dissipate into the tiles (I hope!).
D'u mean u have a wet UFH system in ur bathroom or just generally from the pipe work?
Nothing wrong with plaster board in dry areas and u can always use a tanking membrane if you're worried, be it liquid or on a roll. And your foam backer boards are great, like all these products tho, they're only as good as the installation. And generally I find they're never fitted in the correct manor.
Case in point, this is a picture of a 'prepared surface' according to main contractor, apparently good enough for mosaic!!!!
See what u think!

B

blue_max

I have a wet underfloor heating system in the basement, but this is just the hot water and heating pipework (both 22mm) which pass between the joists. As the bathroom floor is only 1.45x1.35m it is noticeable. There is a towel warmer too to supplement.
I am very pleased with my insulated tile backer. Makes a nice difference to the heat loss in the room (I think). I am not sure what part of a small bathroom would not be subject to moisture, so take comfort that it won't matter.
3_fall, that looks pretty grim!

O

Old Mod

I am very pleased with my insulated tile backer. Makes a nice difference to the heat loss in the room (I think). I am not sure what part of a small bathroom would not be subject to moisture, so take comfort that it won't matter.
3_fall, that looks pretty grim!
completely fair comment. And your peace of mind is paramount.
Errrr yeah it was, watch for later posts when I publish the job.
And that supposed prep they did was Aquaboard, installed correctly is waterproof system. I think
someone must have missed the point when they installed it. Haha

Has anyone else notice the decline in PB quality over the past few years?
More and more times I am finding that when trying to manhandle 8 by 4's that they start to make creaking noises and even had quite a few snap on me. The density/texture seems to have change as well.......too much rework/recycling of PB?
I always use moisture board when required, slightly more expensive than normal plaster board but much easier to work with.
You right abour quality, Over the last few years I've also found the quality dosen't seem the same as it was.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Quality of Plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hi All I have a couple of questions regarding tiling prep for Anhydrite screeds and was hoping...
Replies
Views
D
Hi Guys, I have been looking around the forum (lots of useful info by the way) for a...
Replies
Views
Doomageta
D
S
hi ive just found this site trawling internet for advice re a tiling job im having done at the...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, So I've got to the end of the main chunk of the work... finally... and it's looking pretty...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB