Discuss shower in old flat in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

joe bloggs

next job, my son's bathroom, a third floor 100+y old flat in Aberdeen.
rough sketch here
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4937164885_303d7bb04b_b.jpg
First off is the shower, enclosed on 3 sides by stud walls with door and fixed glass on fourth . LH and back stud walls are to be built, RH wall is stud and will have lath and plaster replaced with PB.
I've done bathrooms before (see http://www.tilersforums.com/new-members-say-hi-here/26743-trouble-ahead.html and http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/26769-att-joe-bloggs.html ) but tanking a shower is new for me.

My intention is as follows:

build stud work,
fix plumbing in walls
cover with 12mm PB . The walls sized so as to just fit in tray and tanking
use Mapei 'shower waterproofing kit' to tank from floor up 1 metre
Lower shower tray onto mortar bed (on floorboards)
fix trimlux to PB/tray (I've used this before)
tile (large, porcelein) up to ceiling using KERAFLEX , no primer.

Any advice would be welcome. Its very important that the shower doesn't leak onto the flat below.:no:
Setting out from deepest Cornwall on Thursday with a car full of tools and stuff.

J

joe bloggs

new ceiling, stud work, PB. plumbing,waste all in; tanked (1.5m:thumbsup:)enclosure with kit, will use tape and goo on tray edge when fitted, like I think Mapei intended. Planning to tile top half of wall with 600x300 porcelain (Jakarta, grey, polished ) before tray fitting.
joe-bloggs-albums-son-s-bathroom-picture18005-mapei-tanked.JPG

can I cut these tiles with a score cutter? I've got a B&Q wet tile saw but was hoping to restrict its use.
and can I use my usual method of cutting large holes,(for valves, electric box) ie first a 6mm tile drill and then jigsaw?

J

joe bloggs

being able to change the cutting wheel for a start, they don't last forever and that one looks fixed. You could give it a try, needs a sharp fast break though
I gave it a try, it works fine; only big enough for the 300mm direction tho', not the 600mm. I have noticed when it comes to snapping any sort of scored tiles on these machines that altho' the tile doesn't snap with an initial very hard press that giving it several hard pushes up and down the length of the score it will eventually go with a fairly moderate push. Just musing that the initial presses start some non visible interior cracking which finally weaken the tile, not what you'd expect.

Reply to shower in old flat in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
Good evening all, This is possibly a simple question and I'm hoping that it is a simple 'ish...
Replies
Views
G
Hello all, Right...the Wife and I have just bought a right old project so funds are low, so I...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
T
ok so i have started this thread because of a conversation between me and dan in another thread...
Replies
Views
L
Hi all, I'm new to this forum & tiling in general & am after some advice on adhesives. I am...
Replies
Views
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
shower in old flat
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.