UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Started a job in Chelsea today! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

Evening all.........hope you are well!!!!

went into another bathroom today...........(its prepped and ready.....apparently!).........
this was a shell the last time I saw it!

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Looks reasonable dont it?.........hardibacker, new plaster work......a bit of paint here and ther but for a general builder....not bad........and then I noticed this:

IMG_1253.jpg

and I immidiatly broke out the 8ft" level..........and guess what............the tray id as flat as a pancake....perfect!!!!!......but the floor is as flat as a camels back!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went into melt down mode and assessed the situation......and decided to screed the floor first......(did not take any pictures...too busy f'n and jeff'n)......

but as you can see in the next shot the floor is latexed and I started to install the under floor heating system.........

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

I got this installed and realised there is no "exit" point for the cold tail or the sensor for the heatmat, so grabbed the onsite electrician and asked him to help me out...........
we had a giggle about all electricians being really messy...leaving off cuts of pvc and timber shavings all over the place and walking away!!!!!..........he took the hint......and here is the proof:

IMG_1258.jpg

so there you go......electricians can understand the sucky box with button...(vaccum cleaner)..........

IMG_1259.jpg

after he had finished up I primed the floor ready to lay the heatmat (priming because warm up mats DONT stick to warm up boards!!!!!!
then got called away to do a quote at the royal albert hall!!!!!!..........

tommorrows another day......but at least its poets day!!!!!!

best wishes

Lee!

P

Protilers

Alright Chap's...!

Fair bit going on today.....but then again it is poet's day....so I left work a little earlier than usual.....(more on that later!).......

but today I am going to show you how we install an under floor heating system..........and here we go:

first of is.....make sure your mat will fit.......measure the area and DEDUCT 10% (as a rule of thumb!) from the whole area and round DOWNWARD.....
so if you have 4.6m2.....less 10%= 4.14 = (rounded down) 4.0m2 mat......

install the mat in neat runs and onto stage two.....

IMG_1261.jpg

All heatmats have an "End"....this is thicker than the main "heat" wire....so it will need to be buried..........
so cut a hole in the insulation where it will end and ......

IMG_1262.jpg

stuff it in!!!!

IMG_1263.jpg

On some heatmats.......(these are warm up).......there will be some overlap of mesh.....(keep the heat wire at least 40mm apart from each other!)......like this...

IMG_1264.jpg

on the heatmat I supply and fit thsi is never a problem on on warm up mats it is a constant issue....the answer is to take your time and trim it back!!!!

Like this: (and it will also give you the ability to apply gaffer tape across two runs and have them BOTH stuck to the floor!....warm up mat's dont stick very well IMO!)

IMG_1266.jpg

If you need to bury tour "Cold Tail"......its the same procedure as the "end"........

IMG_1268.jpg

This little bit of tube most people often overlook......but it is the most important part of the installation......Because:

1. it is the most difficult to fit.
2. it is vital piece of futureproofing your underfloor heating install........

there are no guarentees without this tube!!!!!!!!!!!!

it needs to be cut to a length that will reach 50% into a heatwire run and up to your RCD....

IMG_1269.jpg

in this case I needed to tape up the end......some manafacturer's proivide rubber bungs!.......

IMG_1271.jpg

cut a channel in the floor and.......

IMG_1272.jpg

stick it in.....

IMG_1273.jpg

if your floor temp sensor ever fails you will be able to feed in a new one without having to damage the floor.................BONUS!

IMG_1274.jpg

Finally coat with a cover of latex screed...this will encapsulate the heat wire and provide maximum heat spread from the wire.....as there will be no voids!!!

Best wishes

Lee!

P

Protilers

Alright Chaps!

its the end of another day so I might as well bore you all with what's been going on in my life..........
For starters today I made friends with the Labourer's......I got them a few soft drinks from the shop and handed them over after lunch.......it was hot.......and I felt a litte sorry for them!

but my day started with a dry lay.........

IMG_1282.jpg

after working it all out I moved on to sticking!!!!!

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

I have busted out with a 15 x 15 mm square notch trowel.........no real reason over my latex floor.....but I am not a fan of my 20 x 10 mm round notch......and I dont know why.......personal preference?

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

Managed to drop in the floor in this room and clean up the other two rooms ready for grout and seal.........

IMG_1291.jpg

and I do hope my blue peter badge is in the post........but I am sure I will be upset again......just like last time......Bloody jim'll fix it my ...............

Best Wishes

Lee!

Reply to Started a job in Chelsea today! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

R
Hi all - first post here :). I need expert advice on how to proceed.... I have hired a...
Replies
Views
ReX83
R
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views
R
First post on this forum and unfortunately its not under good circumstances. We have built...
Replies
Views
Reggiethethird
R
T
Hi, please can you help me on this, I think I have a tradesman done a bad wall tile job on our...
Replies
Views
Tianqiang Situ
T
I received an email last night from a guy local to me , he asked if I could do some tiling in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.