Discuss Wordpress website getting spammed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Alan. Don't jump to conclusions. They left a reply to a post on daves website, like anybody can do. Or could have done rather, I've turned it off now.

And the post was in the public forum originally hence the mention of the times each was posted. So anybody at all could have read the post on the forum, then posted a way to fix it (or break it I'm yet to check the template they're talking about editing).

No hacking involved at all.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You were jumping to conclusions assuming it had something to do with the forum. It was nothing to do with the forum other than the fact Dave created a post asking about his website on the forum. It's nothing to do with the forum, or my user account.

It can scare forum members when people create a post asking if the forum has been hacked. So make sure you read the thread properly in future and you'll realise it was talking about Daves wordpress website, hence the title of the thread.

And what it came down to was just a comment on a blog post and Dave note realising you could comment on some. So he was getting spammed on those blog posts..... on HIS website. (I'll say that again there just in case people are still reading this and assuming it's anything to do with the forum - which is is NOT).

We run the very best and securest forum software, unlike some other forums that are running software that will soon be obsolete. And we also have a very high spec server with dozens of security features not just one or two. All 20-odd forums I manage get updated every single month to the latest supported version of the software. I'm on call 24/7/365 and get a text message, email, and phone call if I haven't responded, the moment anything even slightly worrying happens.

I'll not tempt fate or anything but I'm pretty sure we'll never get hacked. We're a mere tile forum in the UK. Russians, Americans and Chinese who hack a lot for profits would have no interest in us. And the mostly European-based Anonymous although get a lot of bad press, generally only hack those who try to silence somebody for doing good. So they'd not hack us either.

No small-time script kiddy would get past our defences.

I would imagine if your forum got hacked, it was poorly managed and hosted on a inferior server, running out of date software with known security loopholes in it. Because even free forum software like phpBB and myBB will get patches released the moment a security flaw is spotted. So somebody wasn't updating your forum by the sound of it.

Totally different level of forum management that is mate.

I just wanted to be very clear about this as it can cost member accounts if not cleared up and that's not fair given the fact you assumed incorrectly something minor.

Sorted now though. I clicked one button on Daves site and stopped comments, so he wont get spammed one bit via those. :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wordpress website getting spammed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Although I've been a member for a little while I have just started reading through different...
Replies
Views
StevieBoy
S
Google Adwords are running an offer at the moment and are giving away £75's worth of free...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
C
Here's a little one we did earlier this year. All designed, supplied and installed by us. This...
Replies
Views
Colour Republic
C
P
Hello mate.......I was back on the job for Dorritt today........ I got there about 8.00 and...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
D
Hi, Been lurking around the forum for the last couple of days and began to feel a bit...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB