UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss OK time to fess up! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

The last bathroom job I did I had just fitted the basin and was in the process of fitting the new shower screen. Once I'd got one half inside I realised it needed to be the other way up.

Like an idiot I tried turning it around inside the bathroom. Problem is it came into contact with the brand new basin!!!!

It made the tiniest mark, which no amount of effort could shift. I tried everything. It was essentially a very small chip with a silver slither in there.

I phoned up B & Q where the customer got the sink from to see how much a new sink would cost. The gent suggested I tried a repair. I was skeptical at first but I managed to get hold of a repair kit off e bay for £20 and it worked well.

Now, I had actually told the customer and they could clearly see the damage. I took full responsibility for it and was prepared to change the basin at my expense if necessary.

In case anyone here is skeptical about those repair kits, I can assure you they do work!

I challenged the customer to locate the chip. neither husband or wife could.

Talking about B & Q did a job for this lady whilst tiling her kitchen she explained that they had sent the wrong kitchen and when they delivered the right kitchen the driver refused to take the wrong kitchen back,she did not want the wrong kitchen it was in her shed and she wanted shot of it I said how much do you want for it she said the cost of the tiling, result new cabinets and sink for a days work redid my utility room.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I was texting a customer about what time I would be there the following morning. At the same time my GF's daughter was texting me to ask what time she had to be back home and on the blag for stopping out longer. Long story short I unknowingly sent the customer a text saying something along the lines 'Are you completely stupid! I have already told you what time'
I then got another text off the customer that I interpreted as a bit rude and brash and for the first couple of days working for her I wasn't the friendliest (neither was she). 3rd day in I was eating my lunch and checking my texts when I clocked what had happened and immediately sorted it out with her and showed her the threads on my phone. After that it was bacon butties and tea every day.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
My worst confession and indeed worst day at work was on a bathroom refurb, ripped out the day before and was doing first fix of new pipework. VERY hungover with a dodgy stomach. Was trying to solder a horizontal pipe that had standing water in it with little success. I asked the lady of the house (who was gorgeous by the way) to turn on her kitchen tap. She came up to tell me she had done that just as I was blowing down the pipe with all my might - I then shat myself! :yikes:

It wasn't silent, it sounded like the massive follow through fart that it was. In my desperate attempt to cover it I tried replicating the noise on my next blow. I carefully rose to my feet and explained I needed to get an elbow from the plumbers merchants and descended the stairs like a man with rickets. Spent 20 mins hiding in the back of my van and sorting myself out with an old dust sheet.
Had I got away with it?
In hindsight I could never have got away with it, the smell was both unholy and instantaneous.
I finally regained my composure and went back in to find my battey charger unplugged and a haze pomander in its place.
Oh the shame!

B

Bubblecraft

I was doing a bathroom fit a few years ago but turned out to be a job from hell! Everything went wrong that could though it looked a straight forward fit. Bath out, shower in....simples!
geze2esy.jpg

I started raggling the wall to put a cold & hot feed in for a new mixer shower. The walls are fully made of plaster. Inbetween both sides of the wall is like a honeycomb plaster. Very brittle too.
I started raggling with a pad saw as it was very easy to cut when all of a sudden, a huge chunk of plaster fell through into the hallway.
me7y4ega.jpg

adu3ymag.jpg

I couldn't think how to rectify this until I had a brain wave!
u5a3u2a2.jpg

An access hatch for isolation valves. Originally I had put the isolation valves under the sink.
I told the customer that as the bathroom was so small, I couldn't put the isolation valves anywhere else.
a4ega5yr.jpg

a6y2ypuh.jpg

Oh the shame!!

C

Colour Republic

Another thread has prompted me in to this.

This confession is less of a school boy error but more a lack of experience

Just a year after I started out doing refurbs I got a job fitting a new kitchen for one of my best mates uncles (My mate still works for me to this day) Of course this included the tiling which were chamfered metro brick bond tiles, In my quest for perfection and knowing trim would never sit flat against the chamfered edges I decided to mitre the tiles in to the window reveals.

If the truth be told I admire my young self to go to the trouble but sadly my in-experience meant although my mitres were perfect, the ceramic edge meant they were razor sharp!

Fast forward a year and I’m in the pub with my best mate’s old man and he asks me to pass the cheese?? "What the hell are you talking about Russ??" Turns out that since I finished, the uncle had taken to grating his cheese on my dangerously sharp mitres to highlight my faux pas. It got so bad at one point that complete strangers (although not strangers to my mates old man) would come and say "I've been told you're the man to speak to about cheese graters" wink. wink, nudge, nudge.... bas***ds!

15 years later I still get asked to pass the cheese by the mate’s old man. 15 years! and still no sign of dementia no matter how hard I pray

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to OK time to fess up! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views
G
Hi, I am after some honest advice regarding a job I done a few weeks ago for which I haven't...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
Y
I will do a search for the answers to save messing about, but I better fess up and tell you what...
Replies
Views
yahoo2u2
Y

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.